You are hereConstitution & Policy Manual
Constitution & Policy Manual
The Constitution and By-Laws outline the basic organization, scope and role of the Engineering Society, while the Policy Manual outlines procedures and supported activities. Together, they form the rules and guidelines that govern the operation of the Engineering Society.
These documents may be amended by referendum or by an Annual or General Meeting of the members. In addition the By-Laws may be amended in two readings by the Engineering Society Council.
The Policy Manual exists to provide official written record of the Society's positions on various issues in order to ensure consistent External Representation. It may be amended in one reading by the Engineering Society Council.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact Matt Slavin and Lauren Sebastian, the Constitutional Gurus, at firstname.lastname@example.org. See below the links for an FAQ about how to propose changes to policy or by-laws.
The Constitution and By-Laws of the Engineering Society of Queen's University
The Policy Manual of the Engineering Society of Queen's University
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change policy/by-laws?
To change policy or by-laws, follow these easy steps!
1) Keep track changes while you make edits to policy
2) Submit those changes to the Engineering Review Board (email@example.com) for the Wednesday of the week before council at 5:30pm at the latest
3) You will receive edits/recommendations from ERB to consider before submitting your policy/by-laws to council
4) E-mail your track-changed copy of the policy/by-law you are changing to the Director of Internal affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the Saturday night before council. You must also include a motion asking council to approve of the changes you want to make. It should look like the following:
WHEREAS, (reason #1 for changing policy/by-laws)
AND WHEREAS, (more reasons, if you have them)
BE IT RESOLVED THAT: Council approve of the changes to Policy Section (insert section here) as seen in appendix "(whatever you want to name it here)"
However if you are changing a by-law instead of a policy section you must come and submit everything to TWO weeks of council. The first week your BE IT RESOLVED THAT will say "Council approve of the changes to By-Law (insert number here) in its first reading as seen in appendix '(whatever you want to name it here)'" and the following week your motion's BE IT RESOLVED THAT will say "Council approve of the changes to By-Law (insert number here) in its second reading as seen in appendix '(whatever you want to name it here)'"
5) Come to council on that Thursday at 5:45pm to speak for why you want your motion to pass, and make it happen!
It's that simple!